Need Legal Help?
What is LawAccess NSW?
LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.
We are a starting point to help with your legal problem.
How can LawAccess NSW help me with my legal problem?
- give you legal information over the telephone
- send you information, for example, fact sheets, forms, publications
- in some cases, arrange for one of our lawyers to give you legal advice over the telephone
- refer you to another service, for example, if you need face to face legal advice, or a specialist legal service
What type of legal problems can I get help with?
We can help you with a wide range of legal problems such as:
- going to court
- a crime
- a fine or traffic offence
- a debt
- your family or relationship
- domestic or family violence
- a dispute with your neighbour
- a problem at work
- buying goods and services
- a motor vehicle accident
- planning ahead (wills, powers of attorney, enduring guardianship)
Can I get legal information online?
Yes at www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au
You can use the website to:
- access easy to read legal resources
- find legal information about a wide range of legal issues
- search and access information in other languages
- find out more about LawAccess NSW and how we can help
- access the LawAssist website
LawAssist can help you if you are dealing with a legal problem or representing yourself in a court or tribunal.
- step by step guides to running a case
- instructions for filling out court forms
- checklists and frequently asked questions
- information on alternatives to court
- videos, interactive guides and flow charts
Can I get legal aid?
We can help you work out if legal aid may be available for your legal problem and if you meet the Legal Aid NSW means test. We can also help you to fill out the Legal Aid NSW application form over the telephone.
What if I need a private solicitor?
If you do need a private solicitor, we can arrange for the Law Society of NSW to send you the details of up to three private solicitors who cover the type of law you need assistance with.
How do I call
You can call 1300 888 529 between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
If you use a Telephone Typewriter (TTY) call 1300 889 529.
If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, you can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS). Ask for LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.
Voice: 133 677
Speak & Listen: 1300 555 727
Internet Relay: www.relayservice.gov.au
Video Relay: Choose the available NRS video relay contact on Skype
If you require an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and ask for LawAccess NSW.